The origins of Ronciglione date back to the Etruscan settlements of which there still is a trace in the small cemetery of the area.
In Roman times Ronciglione most likely represented a "castrum" between Cassia Cimina and Cassia Clodia.
In the Dark Ages, the town suffered numerous barbarian incursions, until it was included in the Papal Curia Roman Duchy.
The construction of the village of Ronciglione core is attributed to the prefects of Vico, who took their name from the lake in the territory that they dominated for centuries.
In 1435 the Pope beheaded the last member of the Di Vico family and gave Ronciglione to that of Anguillara.
In the sixteenth century Pope Paul III Farnese joined the county of Ronciglione to the Duchy of Castro; during this period the town experienced a period of great Renaissance splendor and a urban planning revision. The great monuments that we still admire today, including the Fontana Grande, the Church of Peace and Porta Romana, were built at the time.
In these same years it was consolidated the tradition of the carnival that still represents one of the most important moments for citizenship and for the entire population of Tuscia.
Burdened by debt, in the seventeenth century, the Farnese eventually lost the Duchy of Castro and Ronciglione and the town came under the direct control of the Papal States.
Over the following years it suffered fires and looting by French troops and a severe bombing during the Second World War.