Viterbo, the ancient city with a thousand facets offers an extensive historic center dating from the Middle Ages surrounded by ancient walls dating back to the twelfth century P.C.
On the West the territory of Viterbo extend on a vast archaeological and spa areas dating back to a more distant past, probably attributable to the Etruscan and Roman period. However the history of Viterbo begins to take shape in the period of the Middle Ages.
Forever known as "The City of the Popes", during the Middle Ages Viterbo covered the role of Capital of Christianity and for a long time it remained under the protective wing of the Papal system.
Only with the advent of the Kingdom of Italy, there were a real break with the papal reality and Viterbo was annexed to the province of Rome. On this occasion, the city lost its capital status only to take it up in 1927, thanks to a reorganization of provincial boundaries, carried out in those years.
Therefore Viterbo had its largest development only in recent decades, with the birth of the prestigious University of Tuscia, the choice of Viterbo as the site of the archaeological Superintendence for Southern Etruria and the military airport "Tommaso Fabbri", together with the associated barracks of the Cavalry Center Air Marshals of the School of Aeronautics and Petty Officers School of the Italian Army.
The city's pride and joy along with an integral part of economic development, are the small businesses in the agricultural, food and ceramics.
Active reality of tourism, thanks to its ancient history and its exceptional thermal resources, Viterbo has always attracted visitors of all ages.
Many are in fact the events organized in the city throughout the whole year, especially during the summer. One of the most important is the Santarosa machine, an evocative event in which, through a triumphal canopy, is commemorated the translation of the mortal remains of Santa Rosa, which took place at the behest of Pope Alexander IV in 1258.