Civitella d'Agliano is a medieval village situated on a hill sloping towards the Tiber valley and has historically been populated, as most of the surrounding cities, by the Etruscans and later by the Romans.
Their presence is infact evidenced by some findings of tombs, remains of villas and ceramic artifacts.
With the Roman Empire the peasants fled to the hills, from where it was possible to see the hordes of barbarians and therefore organize a proper defense.
Dating back to medieval times there are many buildings, among which the Monaldeschi Tower, the bastion and the Parish Church.
We do not have precise news about the exact date of the origin of Civitella and its castle, but probably the castle was built around the XI from Bagnoregio Conti, whose descendants took the surname of Monaldeschi.
In the first half of the fourteenth century the lords of Civitella were all Ghibellines and therfore opponents of the temporal power of the Popes, for this reason Orvieto ordered the destruction of the castle and the replacement of the Monaldeschi with the Orsini, which were Guelfs.
After the settlement of the Orsini the castle was rebuilt, but their rule lasted little after it and in 1329 the Monaldeschi returned again in Civitella. From here the power was disputed between the Civitellas, the Vico and the Monaldeschi, until in 1415, the village became property of the Apostolic Camera.
Leo X in 1517 renewed the fief of Civitella D'Agliano to the City of Orvieto, while in 1564 it became a municipality of Civitella, a tributary of the Patrimony of St. Peter, until its annexation to the Kingdom of Italy in 1870.